Pages

Friday 28 December 2018

Zaeeda-SLJ-#10

Welcome back to another day of the summer learning journey lets get started.

Activity 1: Off The Menu

We have done quite alot of this in school in the beggining of the year it was quite fun I enjoyed it. Anyways I think that this rule is kind of unfair because you wouldn't be allowed to take enough fish for you whole family but it is goood because it's made to help preserve fish for the future so I think we should try and preserve fish for the future because it is very serious to look after our sealife even if it means you have to eat less fish.  

Activity 2: The Black Drain

Alot of rivers and waterways are polluted here in New Zealand the 2 rivers I picked were Rumahunga and Manawata.

1. Rumahunga river goes through the southeastern of the North Island in New Zealand but sadly it has now come very polluted and we need to do something about it. The River has become polluted due to Sewage and farming, it prevents people swimming in it and the river moving into a larger river or lake.

2.  The Manawata river is highly polluted and this is mostly due to Dairy farming and the towns sewage. We need to do something about this because this can become a terrible threat to the other areas around the place. This river is located in around the  North Island.

As you can see there is rubbish polluting alot of river there are heaps more I could write about but it maybe go on for ever. Anyways I would like to say that this rubbish wasn't always there and some of it may have floated in so we should make sure that the rubbish isn't there to float into our water ways.


Activity 3: Faded Glory

1. If I had to funraise to help the barrier reef I would help by doing some like the 40 hour famine we do the it at school every year to help raise money for kids in South Sudan. I think that it is very cool but I am not aloud to do it.

2. We could also sell lemonade and have school discos and raise money like that to help the great barrier reef it would be a good idea because some schools have been focusing on the enviroment.

3. find something you enjoy and want to share like music you could sing songs on the street and sure enough people with toss you a coin or something and if your a kid chores help raise money too.

So that is all for today I hope you enjoyed

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Zaaeda,

    I love your ideas for raising funds to help protect the Great Barrier Reef and return it to its original (unpolluted) state. I think that it is really sad that the area has been so badly damaged over the years that it is at risk of not recovering. I haven't had the chance to visit the reef but I have heard that it was absolutely stunning in its day. I think that we could certainly help and raise funds through each of the three options that you suggested. I can actually remember participating in a 40 hour famine when I was in college. We were trying to raise funds for families in the Congo. It sounds like your school is working hard to support children who live not far from there in South Sudan.

    It also sounds like you have done some fabulous research into polluted rivers in New Zealand and identified two waterways that are in poor shape. I didn't realise that the Manawata River was so badly polluted by dairy effluent (sewage) and by town sewage. That is such a shame.

    When I was growing up in Canada I used to work as a lifeguard in a town not far from my home. During the summer I would work at the pool in town and at the river. Sometimes the river became polluted and we were unable to open it. All of the children and their families were so disappointed. I heard that the river has now been cleaned up and that it is no longer vulnerable to pollution. I hope that we can do the same thing here in New Zealand with the Manawata (and Rumahunga) rivers.

    Thanks for sharing your research with us and your opinion about overfishing. You have put a lot of careful thought into the activities for today. Well done, Zaeeda.

    I look forward to blogging with you over the coming weeks. It's hard to believe that it's almost 2019 already, isn't it?

    Talk to you soon!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rachel

    Thank you for commenting I enjoy reading what you think of my work. Yes it is hard to beleive that it's 2019 soon and I can wait to do the count down today.

    I really hope we can save the barrier reef I get pretty nervous around the ocean but I do know that lot's of people enjoy it so I want to help save the great barrier reef. I also think that it would be a good Idea to help our rivers and do a clean up we could also help but we also need to stop the sewage from getting there in the first place.

    I am looking forward to 2019 and meeting my new teachers!

    Kind Regards
    Zaeeda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Zaeeda,

      Thanks for writing back! I think that 2019 is going to be a great year. Who are your new teachers going to be? Have you met them yet?

      I'm looking forward to blogging with you in the new year. It's hard to believe that in less than 12 hours it will be a brand new year...

      Happy New Year to you and your family!

      Best,
      Rachel :)

      Delete