Pages

Wednesday 12 February 2020

How I Got My Name

Zaeeda, what an interesting name. Indeed it’s not a normal name, like the ones in story books or kids Cartoons. It’s quite original, but let’s look at where my name originated from.

When I was about 3 weeks old, my parents were mid-way through a search for their second daughter.  The first one was named Alisha, so they wanted something that started with the letter Z. They asked my Aunties, Uncles, Cousins and Grand-parents, that recommended many options, but none of which my parents fancied.

My great-grandmother then proposed 2 names which lead to the finding of the name Zaeeda. The name Zaeeda, is based on the to Arabic names my Great-grandmother had chosen Zaida, and Zaheeda. After considering the name they continued to look for more names, their search continued.

A few days later they had still found no names, Zaheeda and Zaida were both good names but they aren’t the most original, many Muslim girls have similar names to that, they want my name to be special. After a little while they began to lose hope, they put the name search on hold.

One day when my dad was sitting down and randomly scrolling through his phone he thought of a peculiar thought. What if we changed the spelling of the name Zaida to make it unique and different. The pronunciation and meaning will stay the same, but it will be different and people will most likely not be able to guess where it’s from.

The name Zaeeda, means peace and fortune. It’s Kabalarian Philosophy states that my name means I am able to accomplish many tasks in a small period of time. And for some reason, I do live up to my name. I did have one very distant family member that I mean when I was about 10 years old. She had the same first and last name as me, we were practically twins, and she also lived up to her name.

So as you can see, my name does have a story of it’s own. It has originated from many places and has different meaning. But I do like my name. It's unique weird and even though many people don’t pronounce it right it’s my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment