Pages

Tuesday 17 December 2019

Zaeeda-SLJ-#Day 2 (Up In The Air)

Week 1: Physical Limits
Day 2: Up In The Air
Yesterday we learnt about polynesian exploring, looking back into our diversities and background and charities/how to help. Today we are learning about going above and beyond, you know the saying "Sky's the limit" well there's no limit today. We are going above and beyond baby!

space
Activity 1: Flying Solo

The first task required us to compare the lives, personalities and occupations of 2 completely different people with a similar dream that lead them to try and achieve there goals in real life. I found that both girls had an interesting story and worked hard, I believe that both girls should've been rewarded and are a real inspiration for not just girls but boys too!

Activity 2: One Small Step For Man

For this task we were asked to concoct a poem made about, how Neil Armstrong felt about landing on the moon. I enjoyed this task but writing poems are not my best quailty so I tried my best.

You know the say "ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN, A GIANT LEAP FOR MANKIND" well that quote was orginally stated by, an American astronaut and engineer. Neil Armstrong is one of the three astronauts that made it on the moon in 1936. This was quite an accomplishment as, many had tried and failed before them. The three of them made it too the moon, and Neil Armstrong was the first man, in history to step-foot on the moon. As he stepped out of the space-craft, he said "ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN, A GIANT LEAP FOR MANKIND", IMAGINE THAT!



The Imagine used behind the poem above is not mine, I did find it off google.
Link

Activity 3: Miracle On Hudson
The last task required us to, recount a story about a time we or someone we know did something brave. I did struggle with this task for a while because I don't think I've done anything brave. I don't remember most of the details in my orignal story, so I settled for this one.

It was a few year ago on my first week of school, in new entrance. I was walking to class, was quite far a way back then. The weather wasn't the greatest, anyways I was walking to class it was a Friday so we had assembly. Being the clueless 4 just turned 5 year old I am I didn't know what an school assembly was. This would've been my first!

So I go to class hang up my bag take out my book bag, and see Levonah and Ms Eadie (My New Entrance Teacher) talking. I decided to play with the toys to pass the time. I am joined by Hope my friend and together we played till the bell rang. The class started to line up so we did what we were supposed to an followed.


Just as we were about to leave Ms Eadie called me to stay back. I go and stand in front of her a little nervous. I didn't want to get in trouble on the first week of school. Levonah was standing there too looking down too. At this point I was sure I was in trouble. Boy, was I wrong!....I was actually asked to talk to the school about how we've have been making masks this term and how we had to cut, paint, colour, and decorated a mask.

But by the time we got to assembly I had completely forgotten. Half ways through assembly my class stood up and lined up across the stage. I stood up as Ms Eadie held my hand. We walked to the stage (I almost fell flat on my face). I stood up there and got handed a mic. 

I started to talking about how we cut the shape and then colored and designed them. After all that how we stuck feathers glitter and plastic diamonds. I talked about this for about 2 minutes whilst the class, modeled the mask. I ended with thanking Ms Eadie and the school. Apparently this was considered brave, but I still don't think so. I was just trying to help my teacher.

This concludes today's Summer Learning Journey, I had heaps of fun. I did struggle a little this years summer learning journey was a little bit tricker than usual. It just took a bit more thought and effort. I did still enjoy it!

3 comments:

  1. Mōrena Zaeeda

    Well done for making such a powerful impact on this years' SLJ programme, "Changemakers: People who have changed the world" - thanks, as well, for posting 3 activities in to one blog post - now that's great initiative! I'm going to comment on your response to Activity 3: Miracle on the Hudson.

    Thanks for telling us about your recount of a time when you were brave, even if it was from a time when you thought you were just trying to help someone else. Stage fright can be really terrifying, can't it? Well done to you for going up there anyway and for talking for a solid 2 minutes! I know that it's not easy, I used to have terrible stage fright and I'm still affected by it today no matter how many times I stand up in front of a large crowd. My fear still sticks only it shows itself to me in a way of me sweating (gross, I know!) - I had a speaking coach at university and she told me that we just have to deal with the sweating, it's minor compared to other signs of fear when dealing with stage fright.
    Have you stood up in front of a large crowd since then?

    Looking forward to reading more of your mahi!

    Ngā mihi,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Zaeeda!

    I love poems that have rhymes so reading yours made me really happy! Especially because the rhymes made sense! Did you find that activity easy?

    Keep up the great work!!!
    - Riiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zaeeda,
    I found it interesting that you felt very nervous when you walked up to talk about the masks your class had been making. I also found it interesting that you think they gained fame because they were women. Would you want to become an aviator like them?

    ReplyDelete