Pages

Thursday 9 May 2019

Trip To Xchange

A few days ago the robotics team that I have been apart of since last year, took a trip to Xchange. What's Xchange? I had a great experience loads of fun and would love to go again so here is my experience enjoy!

It started by meeting in the maker space at about 8 in the morning. We talked about what's gonna happen and we then boarded the bus. I sat with Jedida and Rozaidah, we talked and laughed alot I even did some filming which was fun. The ride was about 30 minutes long and we had soon arrived in Manukau!

I was starting to get excited I couldn't wait to meet the other students and people there. We walked in and immediately started looking around for a table to set up at we looked at 4 other different tables before deciding one on the side. I started by orginizing everthing on the ground then on the table and soon we were ready we had even decorated out table. I had some free time so I decided to go look around.

Other groups started setting up and I walked over to a table with a group of boys there. I asked them what there research was about and the told me about mangrove. Mangroves  are plants that grow at the bottom of water ways and block the little fish from getting any food.  They told me that there solution was to make a robot with a chain saw which would cut the mangroves, but they told me that they had a flaw in there idea. The flaw was that when the robot cuts the mangroves roots the mangrove may drop the seeds which would lead too more mangroves growing.

Soon it was time to go back to your tables and continue setting up. We were pretty much done and so we just sat there and waiting. Not long afterwards we had a group of students come into the room, they look just as excited as I did when I first walked in. Each of the groups did a thirty second pitch about what they have been doing. I was the person speaking from my group, I was pretty nervous. Once all the groups had finished their pitches the students we allowed to go and look at the differnet tables.

I went to the circuits part of the table but they didn't want my help they just told me not to do not to do that so I went to Marika. Marika was much nicer she allowed me to help and we spoke to our audeince together, people looked pretty please with what we were showing them too. Marika and I made a great explaining team and we had loads of fun part taking the Xchange. By the end of the students expedition we had 1 sticker which meant that one person liked our work, we weren't very happy but we didn't give up.

We had a snack went to the bathroom talked to other groups and just chilled while we waited for the next group. I didn't do too much just have some lemonade and I ate my chocolate muffin. Once I finished I got the table orginized and ready for the next group. The next group of kids we a bit younger than the others they looked like kids from primary schools, but we welcomed as much as we could.

Once again we all did ouf pitches but this time I didn't do the talking it was Marika all I did was stand there and give her support. Marika did very well and I was just as nervous standing up there with her in front of those people I had never met before. We had just finished doing our pitches and allowed to return to our table when a crowd of people had arrived once again I tried to help out with the circuits and failed miserably. I went back to helping Marika with the bin compactor and most teachers were interested they like the idea and some of them even decided to give us stickers it was really cool!

Once our table had less of a crowd Me and Marika decided to take a break. I went to a table with 2 girls sitting their waiting for people to come along. I went asked them about what they had been up too in their school. They told us that they were also working with mangroves. I asked them what they would do to make it viral but they told us that they were focusing on making it work first. Before I finished my break I decided to walk around and check out the space we were in and even tell some people about the school I was from. I was in pretty much the brightest coloured school uniform there was there so I reall stood out.


Once when the group finished we were all reileved and tired. We had lunch and then sat down for a small meeting, we were congratulated and told our certificates would be sent to our school and then told to pack up. I started by taking down our decorations then returning people chromebooks to their owners. Once that was all done me and Toby pushed the table to the place it was getting unfolded at. We had done it we finished our trip to exchange.


Overall I think that this trip was a sucess and I had loads of fun working and sharing my passion for robotics and engineering. I am a proud memeber of the robotics ropu and have loved all the trips we have had so far. I would also like to say a huge thank you to everyone who made this trip possible who helped take car of us and even created Xchange. Thank you dear reader I hoped you enjoyed reading my experience at exchange.

The End


No comments:

Post a Comment